Surgical Procedure Simulators
"An Educational Tool"
View a video demonstration of the Breast Biopsy Simulator produced by the School of Surgery Yorkshire and the Humber England
- Secure the simulator to the operative field using the Velcro
- Palpable Masses are located in each quadrant of the simulator.
- A total of four radial incisions can be made.
- A needle biopsy may also be performed. An incisional or excisional biopsy
may be taken.
- Drape the operative site.
- Make a radial incision over a palpable mass in one of the quadrants
using a #10 or #15 knife blade.
- Retract the skin edges with Sinn retractors or a similar type
retractor. Army/Navy retractors may also be used.
- Sharply dissect through the underlying tissue with the knife or Metzenbaum
scissors. If a radial incision is made, you will come upon 2 vessels that can
be clamped, cut and tied.
- Excise a portion of the mass to be sent for frozen section.
- Remove the mass. It may be desirable to excise some surrounding
tissue along with the mass.
- Once the mass is removed, place drains if desired.
- Approximate the breast tissue with an absorbable suture and close the skin
with fine suture or skin staples.
- The biopsy sites are located above the red muscle layer and below the
yellow fat layer in all four quadrants. If during the procedure you
encounter the red muscle layer without finding the mass, you have
missed the biopsy site.